Traces of Presence: Pierre Soulages and the Status of Gesture in Postwar France.Jimbo, Nolan M.
In their unwavering monumentality, Pierre Soulages’s paintings conceal the gestural movements that created them, as the black painted forms sit so firmly and unshakably on the canvas that they seem to exist as integral parts of the surface rather than as results of human activity. In this way, Soulages’s paintings seem to exist solely as the traces of gesture, the memories of an act that can be al... read more
- This object is in collection:
- Undergraduate Honors Theses
- Painting, French--20th century.
- Gesture in art.
- Soulages, Pierre, 1919---Criticism and interpretation.
- Tufts University. Department of Art and Art History.
- Permanent URL