Putting the Light on the Hill: Protestant Intellectualism as Elitism in the Denominational Status Race of the Nineteenth Century.Harrington, Allison S.
Abstract: This paper focuses on the founding of Tufts College in 1852 by Christian Universalists. It is interested in how Christian Universalism transformed from a traditionally anti-institutional denomination to one interested in founding an elite liberal-arts college. In particular, it deals with how liberal humanist education served as a benchmark for elitism within the competitive religious ma... read more
- This object is in collection:
- Undergraduate honors theses
- Tufts University--History.
- Universalist Church of America--Education--United States--History.
- Tufts University. American Studies Program.
- Permanent URL