Edwin Ginn Library, 1933-present
The Edwin Ginn Library (1938-present) was established in 1938 as the official library for the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy (Graduate School of International Affairs).
History of Edwin Ginn Library
The Edwin Ginn Library (1938-present) was established in 1938 as the official library for the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy (Graduate School of International Affairs). The library was named after donor Edwin Ginn, a former Tufts alumnus who graduated in 1862, and who made significant financial gifts to the university over the course of his life.
Prior to the establishment of the Ginn Library, the materials that started the library collection were part of Ginn's personal collection and were called the Library for World Peace Foundation. The library was originally intended to be a research collection for graduate students (Light on the Hill, 592).
As of 2011, the Edwin Ginn Library provides collections, services and technology that anticipate and meet the research and instructional needs of The Fletcher School. The Library maintains a research and study environment conducive to exploration, discovery and knowledge creation. The library's collection of primary and secondary reference and research materials has been developed with attention to the content of The Fletcher School curriculum and the research interests of students and faculty. The library contains over 120,000 volumes, including 270 current periodicals and serials. The Tufts University Libraries share over 30,000 electronic publications and databases. Ginn Library's collection covers the fields of international law and organizations; human rights; economic and political development; international energy resources and environmental matters; international security and peacekeeping; conflict negotiation; international business and finance; and the uses of the sea and outer space. The Ginn Library entrance is located on the first floor of the Mugar building.