History of Tufts College, 1854-1896Start, Alaric Bertrand
STEPHEN MINOT PITMAN, M. E.
STEPHEN MINOT PITMAN was born in Boston, Massachusetts, July 19, 1850. He received his preparatory education in the High School of Providence, Rhode Island, and entered Brown University in 1866. After spending one year there he came to Tufts, from which he graduated in 1869 with the degree of Bachelor of Philosophy. While in college he became a member of the Theta Delta Fraternity.
After graduating from Tufts, Mr. Pitman studied for four years at the School of Mining at Harvard University, receiving the degree of Mining Engineer. He then spent one year in study at the Universities of Heidelberg and Berlin. In 1874 he returned to Tufts as assistant in Chemistry and Walker Special Instructor in Mathematics. The next year he became Instructor in Chemistry, and when his term as Walker Special Instructor had expired he took charge of the chemical department with the title of Professor.
In teaching Professor Pitman was very successful, his work being of a thorough and practical kind; but in 1882 he decided to resign his professorship in order to accept the position of Treasurer and Manager of the Bell Silver and Copper Mining Company at Butte, Montana. Having resigned this position he served as Chemist of the Valley Falls Company at Valley Falls, Rhode Island, for two years, and in 1887 became Superintendent of the Cop Dyeing Company, at Providence. In 1889 he located in Philadelphia, acting as Secretary of the Philadelphia Manufacturers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company, until 1893, and as Vice-President and General Manager of the Holmes Fibre-Graphite Manufacturing Company, during the years 1893 and 1894. He returned to Providence to accept the secretaryship of the Narragansett Mutual Fire Insurance Company, which position he now holds.
Professor Pitman was married, October 12, 1878, to Miss Maud R. Fisher. She died, and on February 13, 1884, he married Miss Mary H. Porter.
Professor Pitman was made a member of the American Institute of Mining Engineers, in 1873, and of the German Chemical Society, in 1874. He is also a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. He is active in artistic, social, and athletic affairs, as well as in those of science. He has been a member of the Boston Art Club since 1875, and of the Providence Art Club since 1887. He also belongs to the Da Vinci Club, the Providence Camera Club, the Philadelphia Photographic Society, the Squantum Club, the Mankerin Cricket Club, and the Providence Athletic Club.
Published by the Class of 1897. The original contains appendices with a directory of alumni, the college catalog, and the college charter. These were not included in this addition.
- This object is in collection:
- Digital Collections and Archives records
- Permanent URL