The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 2

Allen, Thomas
1828

Clothworkers.

Clothworkers.

Clothworkers' company

Their ArmsArms granted 1530; crest and supporters 1587; whole confirmed 1645. are sa. a chevron ermine, between two habicks in chief ar. and a tezel in base slipped or. Crest. A mount vert, thereon a ram statant or. Supporters. Two griffins or, pellettee. Motto. My trust isin God alone. Patroness. The Virgin Mary.

The Clothworkers' Company, though a very ancient Guild, was not incorporated till the year 1482, when Edward the Fourth granted the members his letters patent, by the style of The Fraternity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, of the Shearmen of London : but this appellation was changed on their re-incorporation by queen Elizabeth, to that of the master, wardens, and commonalty, of freemen of the art and mystery of clothworkers of the city of London. Elizabeth's charter was confirmed by Charles the First, in the year 1634. The different workers of cloth, afterwards incorporated by the general name of clothworkers, anciently consisted of several fraternities, long since decayed or re-incorporated under new titles. The names of some of these are quoted by Strype, from the liber albus, and afford an idea of the flourishing state of the trade formerly. The first were the webbers, or weavers of cloth, then called tellars, or telars: these were very ancient, being confirmed as a guild, or fraternity, by king John and Henry the Third; the latter granted them a second charter, which refers even to an inspeximus of a former charter, granted to them by his grandfather Henry the Second. Connected with these, in the making of cloth, were the fullers, of whom, and the dyers, a complaint was made by some of the company to Edward the First, that certain of them, viz. John de Oxon, Henry at Watergate, and Elias le Shereman, sent cloths, which ought to be fulled in the city, to the mill at Stratford, &c. to the great damage of the owners, as well as of those who practised the fulling trade within the city; which was, in consequence, remedied. The mystery of the burilers, another branch of this trade, flourished at the same time: these appear to have been a sort of overseers, or inspectors of cloths. This company is governed by a master, four wardens, and a court of about forty assistants. Its members possess considerable estates, both in their own right, and in trust for charitable purposes, their annual expenditure for which, is stated at about 1400l.

The Names of the Company of Clothe Workers from the Record in the Chapter House. Mr. Toles, aldermanThomas Hill John DavyJohn Grey Augustyne HyndeRobert Williams John MachellReynold Ravynsbye Humfrey WagstaffHugh Appowell Mr. AlcamThomas Wollet Mr. MoreEdmond Taylfer Mr. ClaymondJohn Hannett Mr. RogiersJohn Dawson Mr. SmytheWillm. Armerer Mr. CleborneThomas Hunt Mr. MaynardRichard Downes Mr. GrenwayJohn Bruyn Rauf BorneEdmonde Spratt Thomas SpencerHenry Pygnett Andrewe FfrauncisNicholas Small John CrymesJohn Watson Willm. HuettWillm. Machyn Rauf AmersleyWalter Hickman John PageJohn Stowe Nicholas BorneBrian Chafer John HalseRichard Mariott James MetcalfJohn Pyke Will. PageAdam Wynthropp John PetyngerMathew Philipson Thomas HansonRoland Staper John DaleRobt. Philipson Edmond BriggisJohn Gates Thomas StooksJohn Lute James HalleyJohn Thomas ReynoldRichard Burgen John PhillippsThomas Ffarmer George TomsomRichard Plomms Willm. TwylleGeorge Wymarke Willm. Benet The Clothworkers' hall, is a small building principally of red brick, on the east side of Mincing-lane, Fenchurch-street: the front is ornamented with four fluted columns, crowned with Corinthian capitals, of stone, and supporting a frieze and cornice.

 

Their are a chevron ermine, between habicks in chief and a tezel in base slipped or. . A mount , thereon a ram statant . griffins , pellettee. .

My trust isin God alone.

. The Virgin Mary.

The , though a very ancient Guild, was not incorporated till the year , when Edward the granted the members his letters patent, by the style of

The Fraternity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, of the Shearmen of London :

but this appellation was changed on their re-incorporation by queen Elizabeth, to that of

the master, wardens, and commonalty, of freemen of the art and mystery of clothworkers of the city of London.

Elizabeth's charter was confirmed by Charles the , in the year . The different workers of cloth, afterwards incorporated by the general name of

clothworkers,

anciently consisted of several fraternities, long since decayed or re-incorporated under new titles. The names of

375

some of these are quoted by Strype, from the , and afford an idea of the flourishing state of the trade formerly. The were the webbers, or weavers of cloth, then called tellars, or telars: these were very ancient, being confirmed as a guild, or fraternity, by king John and Henry the ; the latter granted them a charter, which refers even to an of a former charter, granted to them by his grandfather Henry the . Connected with these, in the making of cloth, were the fullers, of whom, and the dyers, a complaint was made by some of the company to Edward the , that certain of them, viz. John de Oxon, Henry at , and Elias le Shereman, sent cloths, which ought to be fulled in the city, to the mill at , &c. to the great damage of the owners, as well as of those who practised the fulling trade within the city; which was, in consequence, remedied. The mystery of the burilers, another branch of this trade, flourished at the same time: these appear to have been a sort of overseers, or inspectors of cloths. This company is governed by a master, wardens, and a court of about assistants. Its members possess considerable estates, both in their own right, and in trust for charitable purposes, their annual expenditure for which, is stated at about

 
 
Footnotes:

[] Arms granted 1530; crest and supporters 1587; whole confirmed 1645.

View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
 CHAPTER I: History of London, from the Accession of William and Mary, to the reign of George the Second
 CHAPTER II: History of London during the reign of George the Second
 CHAPTER III: History of London from the Accession of George the Third, to the year 1780
 CHAPTER IV: History of London continued to the Union
 CHAPTER V: History of London from the Union to the Jubilee, 1809
 CHAPTER VI: History of London from the Jubilee to the Peace of 1814
 CHAPTER VII: History of London continued to the accession of George the Fourth
 CHAPTER VIII: Account of the Civil Government of the City by Portreves, Bailiffs, and Mayors, with a list of the latter...
 CHAPTER IX: An account of the Aldermen and Sheriffs, with a list of the latter
collapseCHAPTER X: Lists and brief Accounts of the various Officers and Courts within the City
collapseCHAPTER XI: Some account of the Ecclesiastical Government of the city of London, with a List and Biographical Notices of the Bishops of the see
collapseCHAPTER XII: Some Account of the Military Government of London, and the Artillery Company
collapseCHAPTER XIII: An Account of the twelve principal Companies of the City of London
collapseCHAPTER XIV: An Account of the Companies of the City of London, alphabetically arranged
 CHAPTER XV: An Account of the River Thames
collapseCHAPTER XVI: Historical and topographical account of London Bridge, Westminster Bridge, Blackfriars Bridge, Waterloo Bridge, Southwark Bridge, and the Thames Tunnel
collapseCHAPTER XVII: Topographical and Historical Account of the Tower of London
This object is in collection:
Edwin C. Bolles papers
Subjects
London (England)--History
Antiquities
Permanent URL
http://hdl.handle.net/10427/44305
ID: tufts:UA069.005.DO.00067
To Cite: DCA Citation Guide
Usage: Detailed Rights