The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 2Allen, Thomas
Their are on a chevron swivels , (the middle palewise, the other with the line of the chevron) between steel gads . scaly lizards, erect on their hind feet, combatant (i. e. ) each gorged with a plain collar , the collars chained together; a chain, with a ring at the end, pendant between the lizards, of the last. . The same as the crest. . Anciently,
. St. Lawrence.
This company appears to have been a very ancient fraternity, although not regularly incorporated till , when Edward IV. granted the members his letters patent, under the style of
and confirmations were subsequently granted by Philip and Mary, in , by queen Elizabeth in , and by James II. in .
As early as the year , a complaint was made of the ferones, as they were then called, or dealers in iron, to Elias Russel, mayor, and the aldermen,
and on an inquisition being taken, and rods presented of the just and anciently-used length of the strytes (); and also of the length and breadth of the gropes, (), belonging to the wheel of carts, sealed with the city seal; of them was deposited in the chamber of London, and the others delivered to John Dode and Robert de Paddington, ironmongers of the market, and to John de Wymondeham, ironmonger
| of the bridge, who were appointed overseers for the benefit of the trade generally, and empowered to seize those of an undue length. During the middle ages, they seem to have united the professions, both of merchant and factor, 'for while they had large warehouses and yards, whence they exported and sold bar iron, and iron rods, they had also shops, wherein they displayed abundance of manufactured articles, which they purchased of the workmen in town and country, |
Their hall is a stately, modern edifice, standing on the north side of ; and is either the or that has been raised on the same site.
The affairs of this company are conducted by a master and wardens, assisted by a court of the whole livery, who are about in number. Numerous benefactions have been made in trust by various donors, for purposes of beneficence and public good; the entire revenue of the company, amounts to about annually.
In the court books of this company, which have been preserved from the time of queen Mary, are many curious entries respecting supplies for the exigencies of the state; as well as various particulars regarding the providing of men, arms, and ammunition; the purchase of corn for the city; the ceremonies and expences attendant on processional pageants, &c, Among the former, is the following singular precept, directed to the company
In , another precept was received from the mayor, requiring the company to provide
to be trained for
every of them
In , the company were required to purchase
| quarters of wheat, to be deposited as their quota for the ensuing year, in the bridge-house, where the city collectively was to store up quarters at per quarter. In the following June, the company were directed to carry into the market, |
till all their old corn was sold at the market price; their stock to be renewed with wheat of the growth of that year. In the autumn of , when wheat was dear, the company was commanded to take on days, weekly
to the market of , and
In the year , the queen in council ordered, that the city should furnish last of gunpowder, to be ready for emergencies; in consequence of which this company were enjoined to keep b.
The accounts of the pageantry are too long for extract; in a precept from the mayor, informed the company, that they were assessed . as their proportion of the sum of which had been expended in pageants, when the king passed through the city.
 Granted, 1435-Supporters, 1560-whole confirmed, 1634.
 Malcolm's Lond. vol. ii. pp. 41-49.