Department of Music Records, 1880 -- 2017
On this page:
Title: Department of Music Records
Dates: 1880 -- 2017
Bulk Dates: 1889 -- 1986
Creator: School of Arts and Sciences
Call Number: UA017
Size: 24.3 Cubic Feet, 1 Artifact(s)
Permanent URL: http://hdl.handle.net/10427/14582
Digital Collections and Archives, Tufts University
This collection documents the activities and administration of the Music Department and the Music Library, as well as associated extracurricular clubs including Tufts Chorus, Glee Club, and Mandolin Club. Included are concert and event publications, musical scores, administrative scrapbooks, stock inventories, Music and Choral Library records, and correspondence of the Tufts Music Department. These materials date from 1886 to 2017. A majority of the scores and administrative files and scrapbooks document music related activities at Tufts between 1889 and 1945, while concert and recital scrapbooks, course catalogs, and event schedules represent the activities of the department from the late 1960s to the late 1980s.
This collection also contains the personal papers and scrapbooks of Music Department faculty and staff, including Tufts professor, Leo R. Lewis (1865-1945) and the Music House custodian, Richard R. Lamont (d. 1972). Personal materials include correspondence, event invitations, curricula vitae, essays, reports, obituaries, course plans and curriculum outlines, biographical sketches and employment records. Also included are over 200 musical scores by beloved Tufts composers, including: Frederic Field Bullard, Elliot Wright Haynes, Leo Rich Lewis, Carrie Bullard Lewis and Elbridge Ward Newton.
This collection is organized into five series: Administrative and office files; Programs, concerts and events; Musical scores; Faculty, staff and student files; and Leo R. Lewis' Piano.
The Department of Music was established on August 7, 1895 when the Tufts College Board of Trustees voted to create a professorship in the History and Theory of Music. Professor Leo R. Lewis was appointed to the new position. Interest in music at Tufts was high from the onset. In 1896 President Capen's annual report counted 26 students enrolled in music courses - nearly 10% of Tufts' 270 students. By 1901, the Department of Music was declared "permanent" by President Capen, who lauded Professor Lewis for creating a department "likely to become one of the strongest of the College." Capen also praised Lewis for creating a chorus for the Sunday evening services in Goddard Chapel, organizing and instructing the Glee Club, preparing college songs, and "awakening an interest in music throughout the College." (Hersey, p. 32)
Tufts Music Department has always played a major role in organizing musical performances on campus. Historically, performance groups included the Glee Club, the Tufts Choir, the Banjo Club (which became the Mandolin and Guitar Club), the Jackson Glee Club, the Orchestra, the Chamber Singers, and the College Band. By 2007 Tufts Music Department had expanded its vocal and instrumental groups to include 19 performance ensembles including the Chamber Singers, Concert Choir, Tufts Jazz Orchestra (TJO), Tufts Symphony Orchestra (TSO), Wind Ensemble, and Pep Band. The Department organizes over 180 events and concerts annually.
In 1899, the Music Department found its first official home on the third floor of Goddard Gymnasium. This original space consisted of two rooms; one for general use and a second for the Music Library, which housed the collections of Rev. Thomas Wittemore, Albert Metcalf, and Frederic Louis Ritter. In 1930, the Old Chemistry Lab on Boston Avenue was converted to the "Music House." The department remained there until 1955, when it moved to the basement of the newly built Edward E. Cohen Arts Center (now Aidekman Arts Center). Outgrowing its basement facilities, the music department was relocated to 20 Professors Row, which had appropriately been home to Professor Lewis throughout his 50 year career at Tufts. In 2005 the Department found an interim home on 48 Professors Row, before making its final move to the $27 million Granoff Music Center in 2007. The Center houses the Distiler Performance Hall, the Lily Music Library, three classrooms, 20 faculty offices, and a rehearsal hall.
As of 2010, Music remains one of the largest and most active academic departments on Tufts campus, offering courses in musicology, ethnomusicology, theory, composition, and performance. Each year around 1,500 Tufts students enroll in department classes. Since 1973 a reciprocal agreement with the New England Conservatory of Music (NEC) has allowed students at both institutions to take courses at either school to be applied toward their respective degrees. Tufts also offers a five year dual-degree program with NEC, giving students the opportunity to earn their B.A. or B.S. from Tufts while earning a Bachelor of Music from NEC.
Access and Use
This collection is open for research.
Some material in this collection may be protected by copyright and other rights. Please see "Reproductions and Use" on the Digital Collections and Archives website for more information about reproductions and permission to publish.
Department of Music Records, 1880-2017. Tufts University. Digital Collections and Archives. Medford, MA.
This collection was processed in spring 2010 by MacKenzie Brigham, DCA Collections Assistant, under the supervision of Susanne Belovari, Archivist for Reference and Collections.
In spring 2010, uncatalogued material was found in the DCA office relating to Richard R. Lamont (former Music House Custodian), the Music House, and the Music Department. Since Lamont's material included scores once cataloged as part of the Music Choral Library as well as his official correspondence and music event programs, it was decided to add his material to the Department records. Subsequently, we surveyed 17 music related Manuscript (MS) collections containing largely individual scores by former students and scrapbooks among other material. We decided to merge the MS collections with the Department records as the material was either clearly related to department functions, scores had been cataloged as part of the Choral Library (e.g. labeled by similar 4-digit reference numbers) or included compositions by the same composers. A full list of the original collections along with any information in the original cataloging record appears at the end of this processing note. All collection documentation folders were merged into the folder for UA017.
The sheet music was organized alphabetically by title with author and any additional information added in the notes field. Names of responsible composers, arrangers, etc. are listed by their initials followed by their full last name. (ex: Leo R. Lewis is listed as L. R. Lewis; Willis A. Moore is listed as W. A. Moore). Where necessary, materials were re-housed in oversized folders, original folders were kept if in reasonable condition. Due to preservation concerns, scores are arranged by size within the boxes regardless of folder number.
Originally the unprocessed Department of Music records also contained six record cartons of scrapbooks. Some of these scrapbooks contained office and administrative records and others contained programs from concerts, recitals and events, while a few contained personal clippings and notes belonging to Leo R. Lewis. Scrapbooks were separated into series depending on content. Newer scrapbooks with concert, recital, and event information were packed into records cartons and shipped off-site. Older, more fragile administrative and personal scrapbooks were wrapped in tissue paper, packed in smaller boxes, and kept on site. One box (39090011478597g) contained scrapbooks of photographs depicting theater productions, and was moved to UA070. One of the Music Department scrapbooks belonging to Roslyn Brogue Henning was moved to MS077, Roslyn Brogue Henning papers, Box 013.
A faculty, staff and student series was created for the personal and professional files of Lewis and Richard R. Lamont because of the positions they held in the Department of Music and the content of their personal records . Lamont's papers included some personal material (resumes, programs from Goddard Seminary, essays), and Leo R. Lewis' papers included four vertical files, many musical scores and three scrapbooks, many containing early correspondence relating to the Music Department, as well as personal files. Included in this series are also relevant vertical files of individuals from the original 17 merged MS collections. (Vertical files were transferred to this collection)
List of collections merged to create UA017:
MS012 - Leo R. Lewis, papers, 1900-1940 [volume: __2 __Linear feet]
History: Leo Rich Lewis (1865-1945), A1887, H1922, was professor of music and head of the Department of Music at Tufts University for fifty years. One of the "Grand Old Men" of the college, he composed the music for Tufts' "Alma Mater" in 1898, and was responsible for making Tufts known as "the Singing College." Scope: Manuscript sheet music composed by Leo Lewis. Series I. Leo R. Lewis Scrapbook, ca 1945 Notes: This date is approximate. Upon discovery in MS075, the scrapbook was moved to MS012 in July 2007. (now in UA017.004.017.00001) Series II. Leo R. Lewis' Piano  Notes: Dear Alma Mater composed at this piano by Leo Rich Lewis in 1898. (now UA017.005.018.00001)
MS014 - F.F. Bullard, papers, 1920-1940 [volume: 1 Linear foot] History: Frederic Field Bullard was the Brother-in-law of Leo F. Lewis. This collection was donated by Philip B. Lewis (son of Leo F. Lewis) in 1946. Some of the items may have once belonged to Mr. Albert Metcalf. See vertical file on P.B. Lewis (now in UA017.004). Scope: A collection of original music scores created for Tufts by F.F. Bullard. This collection is minimally processed and may not be available for research. Please contact the DCA for more information.
MS015 - R. R. Lamont, papers, 1920-1940 [2 Linear feet] History: Richard Roy Lamont (d. 1972) A'11, G'17, was a member of Zeta Psi Fraternity. Scope: A collection of original sheet music created for Tufts by R. R. Lamont. The following collections: P.B. Lewis, Willis A. Moore, R. C. Gioler, J. W. Morton, E. W. Blake, E. A. Knowler, J. F. Gilder, Bruno Huhn, L. A. Coerne, Lionel Morickton, A. T. Williams, M. H. Merrell, S. Loomis, W. W. Watson, W. A. Moore, W. A. Johnson, Ingals; were contained in one record carton measuring 1 linear ft.
MS022 - P. B. Lewis, papers, 1920-1940 History: Philip Bullard Lewis (1895-1961) was the son of Professor Leo R. Lewis and grandson of Reverend John Jay Lewis, both associated with Tufts. He came from Somerville High School and entered Tufts to join the class of 1918. He was a member of the Zeta Psi Fraternity (like his father) and was elected vice-president of his class. He later became manager and proprietor of the Strapflex Company of Melrose. He was in the service during WW I and was on the staff of civil defense during WW II. His hobbies included recording (tape) improved music. See vertical file (now UA017.004.015). Scope: Original scores and printed sheet music by P. B. Lewis. File Unit - Original scores and printed sheet music by P. B. Lewis.
MS058 - Willis A. Moore, papers, 1900-1945 History: Willis Albert Moore, class of A1898, R1901 and G1901. Christian Science Practitioner. See vertical file. (now UA017.004.015.00023) Scope: Original music scores by William A. Moore. File Unit - Willis A. Moore Original Scores for Tufts.
MS059 - R.C. Gioler, papers, 1900-1945 [volume: 1 linear foot] Scope: Original music scores by R.C. Gioler. File Unit - R.C. Gioler Original Scores for Tufts
MS060 - J. W. Morton, papers, 1900-1945 ***non-Music materials from MS060 were moved to UA011.010 in 2009.*** History: Joseph Webster Morton (1890-1959), class of A1911. Alumni Secretary of Tufts. On his retirement in 1956 he received an honorary degree of Master of Arts by the university. See vertical file (This vertical file was moved to UA011.010.066 in 2009). Scope: Original music scores by J.W. Morton. File Unit: Original Scores of Tufts Music by J.W. Morton,
MS061 - E. A. Knowler, papers, 1900-1945 Scope: Original music scores by E.A. Knowler. File Unit: E.A. Knowler, Original Scores for Tufts
MS062 - J. F. Gilder, papers, 1900-1945 Scope: Original music scores by J.F. Gilder. File Unit: J. F. Gilder Original Scores Tufts
MS063 - E. W. Blake, papers, 1900-1945 Scope: Original music scores by E.W. Blake. File Unit: E. W. Blake, Original Scores for Tufts
MS064 - Bruno Huhn, papers, 1900-1945 Scope: Original music scores by Bruno Huhn. File Unit: Bruno Huhn, Original Scores for Tufts
MS065: L. A. Coerne, papers, 1900-1945 Scope: Original music scores by L.A. Coerne. File Unit: L. A. Coerne Original Scores for Tufts
MS066 - Lionel Morickton, papers, 1900-1945 Scope: Original music scores by Lionel Morickton. File Unit: Lionel Morickton Original Scores for Tufts
MS067 - A.T. Williams, papers, 1915-1919 History: Allton Thomas Williams (1896-1970), A1920 and composer of Tufts Songs. Scope; Original music scores by A.T. Williams. File Unit: A.T. Williams Original Scores for Tufts
MS068 - M. H. Merrell, papers, 1890-1900 History: Composer of Tufts music, A1896. Scope: Original music scores by M.H. Merrell. File Unit: M. H. Merrell Original Scores for Tufts
MS069 - S. Loomis, papers, 1910-1920 History: Composer of Tufts music, A1915. Scope: Original music scores by S. Loomis. File Unit: S. Loomis Original Scores for Tufts
MS070 - W.W. Watson, papers, 1900-1945 Scope: Original music scores by W.W. Watson. File Unit: W.W. Watson Original Scores for Tufts
MS071 - W. A. Johnson, papers, 1900-1945 History: William Alden Johnson, class of A1938. Scope: Original music scores by W.A. Johnson. File Unit: W. A. Johnson Original Scores for Tufts
MS072 - Nowell Ingalls, papers, 1898-1902 History: Composer of music for Tufts College, A1900 Scope: Original music scores by Nowell Ingalls. File Unit: Ingals Compositions for Tufts
Transferred by Michael Rogan/Lilly Music Library, 2017, accession UA-2017-047.
Some of the material was transferred from the Department of Music over the years. Some were donations by alumni and staff; the provenance of the rest of the material is unknown.
Subjects and Genre Terms
- Tufts University -- History
- Tufts University. Department of Music.
- Music and musical performances
- Glee Club Records, 1889-1951. Tufts University. Digital Collections and Archives. Medford, MA. Tufts Music, 2009. Tufts University. Digital Collections and Archives. Medford, MA. Sheet Music Collection, 1883-1943. Tufts University. Digital Collections and Archives. Medford, MA. Roslyn Brogue Henning Papers, 1919-1996. Tufts University. Digital Collections and Archives. Medford, MA.
William J. King photographs, score, and Band patches , 1950
This series contains administrative scrapbooks, ledgers, office records, and course catalogs from 1899 to 1988. Early department records were kept in the form of scrapbooks. Office scrapbooks contain department correspondence, faculty and staff to-do lists, course outlines and assignments, and financial records and receipts. There are also scrapbooks that describe, index and inventory the Music House Library, and one that functions as an inventory for the stock room. Some scrapbooks also organize articles about prominent composers and musicians, and were probably used as Music Library resources. Folders of administrative records include correspondence, explanations and essays on the organization system used in the Choral Library, a collection of catalogs describing the Bowen Chimes, information on the publication of Rev. Harry Adam Hersey's "A History of Music in Tufts College, 1856-1945," documentation of the 1973 agreement to create a joint program with the New England Conservatory, and in-depth catalogs of course descriptions from 1983 to 1988. Some administrative correspondence, course notes, and department information from the period between 1894 and 1945 can also be found in the personal files and scrapbooks of Leo R. Lewis in Series IV: Faculty, staff and students.
This series includes programs, newspaper clippings, calendars and photographs from Music Department concerts, recitals, and events that took place between 1886 and 2017. The majority of this series is composed of scrapbooks containing programs and clippings. Scrapbooks represent the events hosted by the department from 1972 until 1986. There is also an earlier scrapbook from the academic year 1952-53 and a bound catalog of 1991-92 events. Individual programs from 1886 to 1984 were also found in boxes of musical scores and were added to this series. These include programs from Tufts Night at the Pops in 1901 and 1941. This series also contains ten photographs from the 1901 musical performance of Milton's Comus. Music from this performance can be found in Series III: Musical scores.
This series contains songbooks, prompt books, and approximately 220 scores dating from 1880 to 1970. Most of the scores were originally housed in the Music House Choral Library and still carry their library index number. A majority of the scores were composed or arranged by Tufts faculty, staff, and students and deal with Tufts-related subjects. Represented are class songs and odes, pep songs, marches, songs celebrating Jumbo, and songs describing life on "The Hill." Many of the pieces were also performed Tufts Glee Club, Tufts Chorus, Tufts Mandolin Club and similar student organizations. The composers represented include Leo R. Lewis A1887 H1922, Richard R. Lamont A1911, Fredric F. Bullard, Philip B. Lewis A1922, Willis A. Moore A1898, Joseph W. Morton A1911, Alton T. Williams A1920, M. H. Merrell A1896, William A. Johnson A1936, and Nowell Ingalls A1900. Also included are published collections of Tufts songbooks from 1895 to 1950. Glee Club prompt books containing scripts and song lyrics from performances in 1905, 1906 and 1907 are also present.
This series contains the personal papers and scrapbooks of Music Department faculty, staff, and students from 1921 to 1985. The scrapbooks and files of Prof. Leo R. Lewis A1887 H1922 make up a majority of the material. Leo R. Lewis' materials include correspondence, event invitations, curricula vitae, essays, reports, obituaries, course plans and curriculum outlines, biographical sketches and employment records, as well as two scrapbooks; one containing Boston-area concert programs from 1889-1899, and a scrapbook of to-do lists and materials for French and Music Department courses. Leo R. Lewis' effects also include an invitation to the dedication of the Wagner Memorial in 1903 and information on the Bowen Chimes. Also included are materials from Richard R. Lamont A1911, including resumes, reunion materials (Class of 1911), event programs from Goddard Seminary, and an essay on the study of modern languages. This series also includes an obituary for Carrie Bullard Lewis, and a small biographical sketch of Philip B. Lewis A1922, as well as Rev. Willis A. Moore's correspondence with President Hamilton of Tufts.
This series consists of an upright piano made by Henry F. Miller pianos in Boston. This was the piano where Leo Rich Lewis composed the song, "Dear Alma Mater" in 1898.